Moving from Illinois can complicate child support

On behalf of The Walters Law Group, Ltd. posted in Child Support on Monday, February 24, 2014.

A person going through a divorce who plans on moving from the Chicago area afterward may run into complications when minor children are involved. Child support payments must be made regardless of the location of the parents or child.

A divorced father recently testified in a Kansas City courtroom that he purposely moved out of the country to Thailand in order to evade making child support payments to the mother of his son. The man was apprehended at LAX in 2012 when he returned to the U.S. He faces potential federal prison time of two years along with restitution and an additional $250,000 in fines.

His court-ordered payments of $1,500 per month began in 1996 when the man and his wife dissolved their marriage. He continued to make payments until 2005. In 2007, he left Thailand to attend his daughter’s wedding in Illinois but didn’t travel in the conventional way. His travel path began in either Thailand or the Philippines and proceeded with him flying into Canada. From there, he crossed the U.S.-Canada border on foot in Washington state and proceeded across the country to the wedding. He returned home to Thailand using the same travel method.

A non-custodial parent that believes the child support order needs modification must ask the court to make an official change. The original support must be paid until a family law judge changes the order. If a custodial parent needs to ask for additional support, that must be done through the court as well. In either case, it may be helpful to consult with a family law attorney for details regarding proper procedure and tips for filing the request.

Source:, “Former KC Man Pleads Guilty To Fleeing U.S. To Avoid Paying Child Support“, February 12, 2014